Financial Counseling

Beginning at the time of diagnosis, Minnesota Oncology partners with you to make your journey through cancer care as successful and stress-free as possible.

We understand that the cost of care and the complexities of medical insurance can be difficult to deal with during this challenging time. Your Patient Financial Counselor is your ally in getting answers to your questions and resolving any issues that may arise throughout your treatment journey. This program was created to assist you in understanding the financial aspects of your treatment and to set up a workable and understandable financial plan so that you can set your mind at ease and focus on getting well.

The Patient Financial Counselors at Minnesota Oncology are insurance experts. They also have access to a variety of programs that can help with drug costs, and even with co-pay and co-insurance costs, if you qualify. They will answer your questions and ensure that a coverage plan is in place before treatment begins. Our financial counselors work closely with our Social Workers to help you access other financial assistance resources as well.

The Angel Foundation, founded and supported by Minnesota Oncology, is a resource for cash grants for qualified patients who need assistance with non-medical financial needs (e.g., groceries, rent) that may develop during treatment. Your Financial Counselor can connect you with a social worker to help you apply for a grant if you meet qualification guidelines.

Please don’t hesitate to ask for what you need. Your Patient Financial Counselor is an important member of your Care Team. Please contact him or her with any financial questions or concerns you may have during your time with Minnesota Oncology. 

Our Patient Financial Counselor staff can be reached at the following numbers:

Burnsville Clinic
(952) 223-6907    

Chaska Clinic
(952) 361-5800
Coon Rapids Clinic
(763) 712-2164
Edina Clinic
(952) 928-2929   
Fridley Clinic
(763) 252-1722
Maplewood Cancer Center
(651) 255-8401
(651) 255-8423
Minneapolis Clinic
(612) 884-6389
(612) 884-6390
 Plastic Surgery Consultants
Plymouth Clinic
(763) 519-7485
Saint Paul Cancer Center
(651) 251-5510
Waconia Clinic
(952) 442-6006
Woodbury Clinic
(651) 999-8978

Helpful resources:

Minnesota Board on Aging

Disability Benefits 101


Social Security


Minnesota Department of Health

Senior Link Age Line: 800-333-2433

Senior Partners Care (SPC)

  • SPC is a statewide community-based program accepted by a wide range of health care providers.
  • SPC is not insurance.
  • The SPC medical provider partners have agreed to accept the Medicare payment as payment in full for most Medicare eligible services.
  • Participating in the SPC program helps to bridge the financial gap between what Medicare pays and the remaining balance.
  • You must be covered by Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B (no age limit), meet certain income and asset guidelines  and use a SPC participating health care provider.


  • You must have  Original Medicare and no other secondary insurance.
  • You cannot be enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan, a Medicare Cost plan or have a Medicare supplement (Medigap).
  • You must meet the eligibility requirements for household income and assets; these guidelines change each year.
  • The maximum household income for a single individual is $1,980/month or less and for a married couple $2,670/month or less.
  • The maximum household assets in 2016 (excludes your home, one car and personal property is $48,600.
  • Card-carrying enrollees submit an application, pay an enrollment fee and renew annually.
  • You cannot be enrolled in Medical Assistance or Qualifying Medical Beneficiary Program (QMB).

Things to Consider

The program is ideal for people with incomes too high for public programs and too low to buy the private coverage.
Stand-alone Part D drug plans work well with SPC, particularly with Extra Help.
Some public programs (VA, SLMB, QI) may also work well with SPC.
Check if your health care provider participates with the program by calling your SPC Administrator or provider’s billing office to find out if they participate with SPC.

Application materials:

Resource materials:

SPC Contacts:

If you live in the county of: Your SPC adminstrator is: Phone number:
Itasca, Koochiching or northern St. Louis AEOA Senior Services 800-662-5711 ext. 7325
Benton, McLeod, Meeker, Morrison, Sherburne, Stearns, Todd or Wright Central MN Senior Federation 866-520-3257
Cook, Lake, northern Carlton, southern St. Louis or Douglas (WI) MN Citizen’s Federation - Northeast 218-727-0207
Aitkin, southern Carlton, Chisago, Isanti, Kanabec, Mille Lacs or Pine Seven County Senior Federation 866-679-4700
Twin Cities metropolitan and all other MN counties not listed above Senior Community Services 888-541-5488