Ben Zhang, MD
Medical Oncology & Hematology
Medical Degree, University of Texas—Houston /Medical School, Houston, TX
Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester,MN
Hematology/Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
Philosophy of Care
Being diagnosed with cancer and facing cancer treatment can be a very stressful journey to patients, both physically and emotionally. My role as an oncologist is to empower patients with knowledge about their disease and treatment options, and provide individualized, patient-centered, and evidence-based care to the best of my abilities. I treat every patient like a family member, and I am fully dedicated to serving my patients’ needs and guiding them through this tough journey.
Academic Honors & Professional Achievements
- Received Assistant Professor academic ranking in Medicine and Oncology at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN as a hematology/oncology fellow
- First author and co-author of multiple peer-reviewed research articles and book chapters
- Reviewer for multiple high impact cancer journals
- Oral and poster presentations at American Society of Hematology (ASH), American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), ASCO-GU, European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO), and Society of Neuro-Oncology (SNO) annual meetings
Published Articles/Book Chapters
1. Zhang Y, Gao S, Wang Z. Structural and functional analysis of amino-terminal enhancer of split in androgen-receptor-driven transcription. Biochem J. May 1 2010;427(3):499-511.
2. Zhang BY, Thompson RH, Lohse CM, et al. Carbonic anhydrase IX (CAIX) is not an independent predictor of outcome in patients with clear cell renal cell carcinoma (ccRCC) after long-term follow-up. BJU Int. Jun 2013;111(7):1046-1053.
3. Zhang B, Malouf J, Young P, Kohli M, Dronca R. Cardiac Metastasis in Renal Cell Carcinoma without Vena Cava or Atrial Involvement: an Unusual Presentation of Metastatic Disease. Rare Tumors. 2013;5(3):e29.
4. Zhang BY, Thompson RH, Lohse CM, et al. A novel prognostic model for patients with sarcomatoid renal cell carcinoma. BJU Int. Mar 2015;115(3):405-411.
5. Gummadi T, Zhang BY, Valpione S, et al. Impact of BRAF mutation and BRAF inhibition on melanoma brain metastases. Melanoma Res. Feb 2015;25(1):75-79.
6. Zhang BY, Cheville JC, Thompson RH, et al. Impact of Rhabdoid Differentiation on Prognosis for Patients with Grade 4 Renal Cell Carcinoma. Eur Urol. Jul 2015;68(1):5-7.
7. Zhang BY, Gangat N. Book Chapter, Novel Insights into Myelofibrosis Pathophysiology and Treatment
8. Binder M, Zhang BY, Hillman DW, et al. Common Genetic Variation in CYP17A1 and Response to Abiraterone Acetate in Patients with Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17(7).
9. Zhang BY, Riska SM, Mahoney DW, et al. Germline Genetic Variation in JAK2 as a Prognostic Marker in Castration Resistant Prostate Cancer. BJU Int. Jul 13 2016.
10. Kohli M, Zhang BY, Costello BA, Book Chapter, "Management of Germ Cell Tumors" in Pathology and Biology of Human Germ Cell Tumors, published in 4/2017
Articles in Press
Zhang BY, Jones JC, Grothey A, et al. Lack of Caudal-Type Homeobox Transcription Factor 2 Expression as a Prognostic Biomarker in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer. Accepted and e-published in Clinical Colorectal Cancer
Jones JC, Alshamsi HO, Zhang BY, Grothey A, et al. Non-V600 BRAF mutations define a distinct molecular subtype of metastatic colorectal cancer. Accepted by Journal of Clinical Oncology
Manuscripts in Preparation
Zhang BY, Donkena K, Dronca RS, et al. Pilot study on immunohistochemistry-based predictive biomarker panel for the use of PD-1 blockade in metastatic renal cell carcinoma
Zhang BY, Costello BA, et al. Multi-center retrospective study on the treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma with sarcomatoid and/or rhabdoid differentiation with checkpoint inhibitors.
Zhang BY, Decker P, Kizilbash S, et al. Survival and efficacy of chemotherapy in patients with recurrent glioma previously treated with adjuvant temozolomide for low grade glioma
Zhang BY, Patnaik M, Gangat N, et al. Comparison of Acute Panmyelosis with Myelofibrosis and Acute Megakaryoblastic Leukemia: A Mayo Clinic Study.
Lectures/Presentations Given at Local, Chapter, National, and International Meetings
Zhang B, Malouf J, Young P, Kohli M, Dronca R. Ventricular Metastasis in Renal Cell Carcinoma without Caval or Atrial Involvement: An Unusual Presentation of Metastatic Disease. Presented at: Minnesota ACP Meeting in Minneapolis, MN, 11/3/2011, and National ACP Meeting in New Orleans, LA, 4/20/2012
Zhang B, Thompson RH, Leibovich B, Lohse C, Cheville J, Boorjian S, Costello B. Prognosis, Treatments, and Outcomes for Patients with Sarcomatoid Renal Cell Carcinoma. Presented at: Minnesota ACP Meeting. Minneapolis, MN, 11/2/2012
Costello B, Zhang B, Thompson RH, Leibovich B, Lohse C, Cheville J, Boorjian S. Outcomes of Patients with Sarcomatoid Renal Cell Carcinoma: The Mayo Clinic Experience. Presented at: ASCO GU Symposium, Orlando, FL, 2/16/2013.
Zhang B, Viswanatha D, Patnaik M, Gangat N. Comparison of acute panmyelosis with myelofibrosis and acute megakaryoblastic leukemia: A Mayo Clinic study. Presented at: American Society of Hematology 56th annual meeting, San Francisco, CA, 12/6/2014
Zhang BY, Riska S, Kohli M, et al. Impact of genetic variation in NK3-1 gene on prognosis of advanced-stage castrate-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC) patients. Presented at ASCO GU Symposium, Orlando, FL 2/27/2015
Zhang BY, Cheville JC, Costello BA, et al. The Impact of Rhabdoid Differentiation on Prognosis in Patients with Grade 4 Renal Cell Carcinoma. Presented at ASCO GU Symposium, Orlando, FL 2/28/2015
Zhang BY, Riska S, Kohli M, et al. The association of CYP17A1 single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) with response to abiraterone acetate (AA) in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC). Presented at ASCO GU Symposium, San Francisco, CA 1/7/2016.
Zhang BY, Jones JC, Grothey A, et al. CDX2 as a Prognostic and Predictive Biomarker for Metastatic Colorectal Cancer. Presented at ESMO 2016, Copenhagen, Denmark 10/8/2016
Zhang BY, Decker P, Kizilbash S, et al. The adverse impact of temozolomide therapy at initial diagnosis of grade II glioma on overall survival. Podium presentation at Society of Neuro-Oncology meeting in Scottsdale, AZ, 11/18/2016
- Board certified in medical oncology
- Board certified in hematology
- Board certified in internal medicine
- American College of Physicians, associate member, 2011-Present
- American Medical Association, member, 2007-Present
- ASCO, associate member, 2012- Present
- ASH, associate member, 2014- Present
- ESMO, member in training, 2016- Present
I am married, and have two young children. My wife is a physical therapist. In my spare time, I enjoy long distance running, hiking, and spending time with my family.