Ryan Youland, MD
Bachelor of Science in Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN
Mayo Clinic, Radiation Oncology, Rochester, MN
Gundersen Lutheran Medical Foundation, La Crosse, WI
Primary LocationMaplewood Cancer Center 1580 Beam Avenue
Maplewood, MN 55109
Phone: (651) 779-7978
Secondary LocationBurnsville Clinic 675 E Nicollet Blvd , Suite 100
Burnsville, MN 55337
Phone: (952) 892-7190
Areas of Special Interest
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy
- HDR brachytherapy
- CNS malignancies
- Breast cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Lung cancer
- Gastrointestinal cancer
- Gynecologic cancer
Philosophy of Care
I consider it a great privilege to be a cancer physician. Radiation oncology is a field truly at the intersection of art and science. Each patient is unique far beyond what can be captured in the medical record. As a result, I enjoy individualizing each patient’s radiation treatment plan to maximize both cancer control and quality of life.
Academic Honors & Professional Achievements
- Moreton Fellowship, Mayo Clinic Radiation Oncology Residency, 2017 – 2018
- C.V. Starr Scholarship, Mayo Medical School, 2010 – 2013
- Richard S. Reynolds Foundation Endowed Scholarship, Mayo Medical School, 2009 – 2013
- Frances W. and Charles M. Condit Scholarship, Mayo Medical School, 2009 – 2013
- University of Iowa College of Engineering Scholarship, 2008 – 2009
- University of Iowa Dean's List, 2005 – 2009
- Youland RS, Pafundi DH, Brinkmann DH, Lowe VJ, Morris JM, Kemp BJ, Hunt CH, Giannini C, Parney IF, Laack NN. Prospective trial evaluating the sensitivity and specificity of 3,4-dihydroxy-6-[18F]-fluoro-L-phenylalanine (18F-DOPA) PET and MRI in patients with recurrent gliomas. J Neurooncol. 2018 Jan 13.
- Youland RS, Blanchard ML, Markovic SM, Olivier KR, Park SS. Role of radiotherapy in extracranial metastatic malignant melanoma in the modern era. Clin and Transl Radiat Oncol. 2017 Sep 30;6:25-30.
- Youland RS, Kreofsky CR, Schomas DA, Brown PD, Buckner JC, Laack NN. The impact of adjuvant therapy for patients with high-risk low-grade glioma. J Neurooncol. 2017 Dec; 135(3):535-543.
- Youland RS, Finley RR, Petersen IA, Corbin KS. Multi-isocenter hybrid electron and rapid arc photon treatment for reirradiation of extensive recurrent inflammatory breast cancer. Med Dosim. 2017 Winter; 42(4):363-367.
- Youland RS, Kreofsky CR, Lee JY, Uhm JH, Parney IF, Brown PD, Laack NN. Modern reirradiation for recurrent gliomas can safely delay tumor progression. Neurooncol Pract. 2017 Jun. [In Press]
- Youland RS, Schomas DA, Brown PD, Buckner JC, Parney IF, Laack NN. Patterns of care and treatment outcomes in older adults with low-grade glioma: a 50-year experience. J Neurooncol. 2017 Jun;133(2):339-346.
- Youland RS, Blanchard MJ, Packard AT, Arnett AL, Wiseman GA, Markovic SN, Olivier KR, Park SS. 18F-FDG PET response and clinical outcomes after stereotactic body radiotherapy for metastatic melanoma. Adv Rad Onc. 2017 Feb; 24;2(2):204-210.
- Youland RS, Lowe V, Foote RL, Pafundi DH, Okuno SH, Kasperbauer JL, Miller RC, Alberts SR, Brinkmann DH, Sarkaria JN. Long-term results of a pilot study comparing FLT-PET and FDG-PET in the evaluation of response to treatment in advanced head and neck and esophageal malignancies. J Nucl Med Radiat Ther. 2017; 8(2):327.
- Nwachukwu CR, Youland RS, Chioreso C, Wetjen N, Nageswara-Rao A, Keating G, Laack NN. Health related quality of life (HRQOL) in long-term survivors of pediatric low grade gliomas (LGGs). J Neurooncol. 2015 Feb;121(3):599-607.
- Youland RS, Brown PD, Giannini C, Parney IF, Uhm JH, Laack NN. Adult low-grade glioma: 19-year experience at a single institution. Am J Clin Oncol. 2013 Dec: 36(6):612-619.
- Youland RS, Schomas DA, Brown PD, Nwachukwu C, Buckner JC, Giannini C, Parney IF, Uhm JH, Laack NN. Changes in presentation, treatment, and outcomes of adult low-grade gliomas over the past fifty years. Neuro Oncol. 2013 Aug;15(8):1102-1110.
- Youland RS, Khwaja SS, Schomas DA, Keating GF, Wetjen NM, Laack NN. Prognostic factors and survival patterns in pediatric low-grade gliomas over four decades. J Pediat Hematol Onc. 2013 Apr;35(3):197-205.
- Youland RS, Kitange GJ, Peterson TE, Pafundi DH, Ramiscal JA, Pokorny JL, Giannini C, Laack NN, Parney IF, Lowe VJ, Brinkmann DH, Sarkaria JN. The role of LAT1 in 18F-DOPA uptake in malignant gliomas. J Neurooncol. 2013 Jan;111(1):11-18.
- Pafundi DH, Laack NN, Youland RS, Parney IF, Grams MP, Sarkaria JN, Lowe V, Giannini C, Morris JM, Kemp BJ, Hoover JM, Hu LS, Sarkaria JN, Brinkmann DH. Biopsy validation of 18F-FDOPA PET uptake and biodistribution in gliomas for neurosurgical planning and radiotherapy target delineation: results of a prospective pilot study. Neuro Oncol. 2013 Aug;15(8):1058-1067.
- Youland RS, Blanchard ML, Wiseman G, Markovic S, Park SS. Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Response to Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT) for Metastatic Malignant Melanoma. 58th annual American Society for Radiation Oncology meeting. 2016 Sep 25-28; Boston, MA.
- Youland RS, Buckner JC, Parney IF, Uhm JH, Laack NN. Five decades of low-grade gliomas at Mayo Clinic: patterns of care over time. 54th annual American Society for Radiation Oncology meeting. 2012 Oct 28-31; Boston, MA.
- Youland RS, Wan J, Xing Y. A comprehensive review of current next-generation sequencing software packages. The University of Iowa Oral Honors Thesis Defense. 2009 May; Iowa City, IA.
- Youland RS, Gentles AJ, Sachs K, Plevritis S. A Bayesian network approach to elucidating B-cell signaling changes in follicular lymphoma. NCI-ICBP Summer Research Fellow Presentation. 2007 Aug; Stanford, CA.
- Board Certified in Radiation Oncology
My wife and young daughter keep me honest. Together, we enjoy traveling, cooking, and savoring every moment of beautiful Minnesota summers.