Possible signs of polycythemia vera include headaches and a feeling of fullness below the ribs on the left side.
Polycythemia vera often does not cause early symptoms. It is sometimes found during a routine blood test. Symptoms may occur as the number of blood cells increases. Other conditions may cause the same symptoms.
A doctor should be consulted if any of the following problems occur:
- A feeling of pressure or fullness below the ribs on the left side
- Double vision or seeing dark or blind spots that come and go
- Itching all over the body, especially after being in warm or hot water
- Reddened face that looks like a blush or sunburn
- Weight loss for no known reason