Last week, the Minnesota Department of Health updated the state's COVID-19 eligibility to include cancer patients undergoing treatment. We are pleased to share that Minnesota Oncology cancer patients in active treatment are now eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccination.
- New: People age 16 and older with Sickle cell disease, Down Syndrome, oxygen-dependent chronic lung or heart conditions, who are in active cancer treatment, or who are immunocompromised from organ transplant
- New: Long-term care residents and staff members working at long-term care facilities in Minnesota
- New: People age 45 and older with ONE or more of the following underlying medical conditions; or, age 16 and over with TWO or more of the following underlying medical conditions:
- Active cancer
- Chronic kidney disease
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Diabetes - Type 1 or 2
- Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies
- Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from HIV, bone marrow disease, chronic steroids for more than 30 days, immunodeficiency disease, or from taking immunosuppressive medications
- Obesity - body mass index (BMI) greater than 30 kg/m2
- New: People age 50 and older in multi-generational housing
- New: Essential frontline workers as defined by the state
- Minnesotans age 65 and older
- Health care workers
- Long-term care residents and staff members working at long-term care facilities in Minnesota
- See the MDH Vaccine Connector for more details on vaccine eligibility
Information for Minnesota Oncology Patients:
Patients in active cancer treatment have many options for receiving the COVID-19 vaccine:
- Contact your primary care provider
- Use MDH Vaccine connector by going to https://mn.gov/covid19/vaccine/connector/connector.jsp or calling the Minnesota COVID-19 Vaccine Connector Hotline at 833-431-2053.
- Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Appointments: If you meet the current guidelines and would like to receive the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, you may call 1-855-FAIRVIEW (324-7843) to schedule an appointment. Once connected, select option 7 and then option 1 to schedule your vaccine. (The Johnson & Johnson vaccine will only be administered at M Health Fairview - Minneapolis/Kasota (Interstate building, 668 24th Ave. SE, Minneapolis).
*Please note that patients do NOT need a letter from Minnesota Oncology stating that they are undergoing active cancer treatment in order to receive the vaccine.
If you have questions, please speak with your care team.