Minnesota Oncology’s Sexual Health Program is committed to addressing patients' concerns about sexual health as an integral part of their care, from diagnosis and treatment through survivorship. The program provides personalized education and consultation for patients and their partners who have experienced changes in sexual health during and after cancer treatment.
About the program
Both during and after cancer treatment, you may notice physical and emotional changes in the way you feel about your body and about sex. This is a common reaction to treatments such as chemotherapy, hormone therapy, and surgery. You may also feel uncomfortable talking to your doctor or your partner about these changes.
At Minnesota Oncology, we believe all patients should have access to straightforward information about the ways cancer can affect sexuality. We offer private, compassionate counseling, consultation, and education to help you cope with these changes and find solutions.
The Sexual Health Program provides services for women, individually or with their partner. The program is open to all Minnesota Oncology patients and is available at most clinic locations. Minnesota Oncology providers will gladly coordinate referrals to a urology specialist for male patients with sexual health concerns. Our services include:
- Sexual rehabilitation counseling for individuals and couples, including coping with menopausal symptoms, discomfort during intercourse, decreased desire, and changes in body image
- Coping with infertility-related distress
- Educational workshops
Our Sexual Health Program Care Team and Locations
For more information about the Sexual Health Program, to request a urology referral, or to schedule an appointment, please call one of the following clinics or send us an email.
Burnsville (952-892-7190): Chara Anderson, RN, CNP, MA, AOCN
Chaska (952-361-5800): Alicia Wojchik, MAN, RN, CNP, AOCNP
Coon Rapids (763-712-2100): Akia Smith, DNP, APRN, WHNP
Edina (952-928-2900): Kelli Daly, RN, CNP and Kim Ness, RN, CNS, MSN, AOCN
Minneapolis (612-884-6300): Katie Houselog, RN, MS, CNP, AOCNP
Plymouth (763-519-7440): Katie Houselog, RN, MS, CNP, AOCNP
St. Paul (651-251-5500): Megan Clapper, PA-C and Heather Lunning, PA-C
Waconia (952-442-6006): Katie Houselog, RN, MS, CNP, AOCNP
- Vaginal & Vulvar Lubricants and Moisturizers (coming soon)
- Foreplay Map (coming soon)
- Psychological Assistance – Counseling Referrals (coming soon)
- The Smitten Kitten: 3010 Lyndale Ave S., Minneapolis, MN 55408;
www.smittenkittenonline.com – staff members are trained sex educators; on-line store available
Many products can also be found online at websites such as amazon.com
- The Lovin’ Ain’t Over for Women with Cancer by Ralph and Barbara Alterowitz
- Sexy After Cancer - Meeting Your Inner Aphrodite on the Breast Cancer Journey by Barbara Musser
- And in Health: A Guide for Couples Facing Cancer Together by Dan Shapiro, MD
- Sex Matters for Women, Second Edition: A Complete Guide to Taking Care of Your Sexual Self by Sallie Foley MSW, Sally A. Kope MSW, Dennis P. Sugrue Phd
- Man Cancer Sex by Anne Katz
- Woman Cancer Sex by Anne Katz