Ryan Funk, MD
American Board of Radiology
- American Medical Association
- American Society for Radiation Oncology
- American College of Radiation Oncology
- American Board of Radiology
- Rare Cancer Network
- Radiation Oncology Education Committee, Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN 2014
- Graduate Education Committee- Resident member. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 2014-present.
- ARRO Mutual Mentorship program 2014-present
Areas of Special Interest
- Head and Neck Tumors
- Prostate Cancer (including brachytherapy)
- Radiosurgery (Cyberknife)
- Symptom reduction and management
- Lung Cancer
- Gastrointestinal Tumors
Philosophy of Care
I am incredibly grateful for the amazing people I am privileged to treat. My goal is to counsel patients about their disease and treatment options so we can partner together to develop a personalized treatment plan based on unique patient needs and evidence-based medicine.
Bachelor of Science, Biophysics, Magna Cum Laude, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
Medical Degree, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
Residency, Radiation Oncology, Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Rochester, MN
Transitional Residency, St Johns Mercy Medical Center, St. Louis, MO
Academic Honors & Professional Achievements
- Chief Resident, Mayo Clinic Radiation Oncology Residency, 2016-2017
- Roentgen Resident/Fellow Research Award, RSNA, 2017
- Best of ASTRO Abstract Selection, 2014
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Medical Student Scholar, 2008-2009
- National Merit Scholar 1999
- A Prospective Pilot Study Evaluating Feasibility and Utility of ECG-gated CT Angiography for Coronary-Sparing Radiation Therapy Planning in Mediastinal Lymphoma. ASTRO 2016 Annual Meeting
- Post-Implant Dosimetry in 972 Patients Undergoing Permanent Prostate Brachytherapy Monotherapy with Iodine-125. Snap oral and poster presentation. ABS 2015 Annual Meeting.
- Risk Factors for Locoregional Recurrence after Transoral Robotic Surgery for HPV+ Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. ASTRO 2014 Annual Meeting.
- Genetic Susceptibility to Therapy-Related Acute Murine Promyelocytic Leukemia. American Society for Hematology 2007 Annual Meeting.
- Permanent Prostate Brachytherapy Monotherapy with I-125 for Low and Intermediate Risk Prostate Cancer: Outcome in 966 Patients. ASTRO 2015 Annual Meeting
- Initial Results of a Prospective Pilot Study Evaluating Feasibility and Utility of ECG-Gated CT Angiography for Coronary-Sparing Radiation Therapy Planning in Pediatric Hodgkin Lymphoma. International Society of Paediatric Oncology (SIOP) 2015 Annual Meeting.
- Pooled Analysis of Locoregional Relapse after Minimally-Invasive Surgery Alone for Intermediate- or High-risk HPV+ Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Poster of Distinction Award. American Radium Society 2015 Annual Meeting.
- Dosimetric Comparison of IMRT vs Pencil-beam Scanning Proton Therapy for Distal Esophageal Cancer. Proton Therapy Co-Operative Group (PTCOG) 2015 Annual Meeting.
- External Beam Radiotherapy for Tracheobronchial Amyloidosis. ACRO 2014 Annual Meeting.
- BCL2, a Candidate Murine Therapy-Related Acute Myeloid Leukemia Susceptibility Factor, Exhibits Strain-Dependent and Alkylator Responsive Expression. American Society for Hematology (ASH) 2008 Annual Meeting
- Cubmaster 2013-2015, Boy Scouts of America, Gamehaven Council, Pack 296
- Scoutmaster, 2008-2010, Boy Scouts of America, Greater Saint Louis Area Council, Troop 151
- Representative of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Philippines from July, 2000 till April, 2002
- RK Funk, EJ More, JJ Garcia, WS Harmsen, DG Stoddard, EF Vencio, RL Foote, KP Price, and DJ Ma. Risk Factors for Locoregional Relapse after Transoral Robotic Surgery for HPV-Related Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Head and Neck. 38: E1674–E1679, 2016
- Ozsahin M, Mirimanoff RO, Thariat J, Sun XS, Atalar B, Lassen-Ramshad Y, Ugurluer G, Krishnan S, Hallemeier C, Houtte PV, Krengli M, Zhang LJ, Chang K, Funk R, Rooney J, Miller RC. The rare cancer network: ongoing studies and future strategy. Rare Tumors. 2014 Aug 8;6(3):5465.
- DJ Ferraro, RK Funk, JW Blackett, MR Ju, TA DeWees, MR Chicoine, JL Dowling, KM Rich, RE Drzmala, I Zoberi, JR Simpson, JJ Jaboin. A Retrospective Analysis of Survival and Prognostic Factors After Stereotactic Radiosurgery for Aggressive Meningiomas. Radiation Oncology, 2014, 9:38
- RK Funk, DJ Ferraro, RJ Perrin, KM Hurth, JJ Stephens, DB Mansur, MR Chicoine, JR Simpson, and JJ Jaboin. Recurrent adult-onset hypophyseal Langerhans cell histiocytosis after radiotherapy: a case report. J Medical Case Reports, 2012. 6:341.
- JM Cheverud, HA Lawson, R Funk, J Zhou, EP Blankenhorn, and E Heber-Katz. Healing quantitative trait loci in a combined cross analysis using related mouse strain crosses. Heredity 2012. 108: 441-446
- RK Funk, TJ Maxwell, M Izumi, D Edwin, F Kreisel, TJ Ley, JM Cheverud, and TA Graubert. Quantitative Trait Loci Associated with Susceptibility to Therapy-Related Acute Murine Promyelocytic Leukemia in hCG-PML/RARA Transgenic Mice. Blood, August 15, 2008. 112(4): 1434-42
My wife and 4 kids keep me busy and grounded. We prefer to be outside on bikes, in the water, or on cross country skis.