Philosophy of Care
Complex medical problems such as cancer can overwhelm patients and their families. I strive to educate my patients on their medical problems and help them make medical decisions based on current evidence from science and literature. I hope to be a part of their care team providing both medical and emotional support to both the patient and their families.
Areas of special Interest
- Breast cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Bladder Cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Multiple Myeloma
When I am not working, I love cooking and painting with my daughter. I also have a passion for Indian classical dance.
Awards and Honors
- First author, 2013 Best Clinical Research Paper, Journal of Nuclear Cardiology.
- Winner- 2011 American Society of Nuclear Cardiology Travel Grant Award.
- Runner-up - Indian Academy of Pediatrics College competition 2006.
- Arterial Inflammation in Rheumatoid Arthritis Correlates with Synovial Inflammation. Emami H, Vijavakumar J, Subramanian S, Vucic E, Singh P, Macnabb M, Corsini E, Solomon D, Hoffmann U, Tawakol A. JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging, 2014 Sep;7(9):959-60.
- High Dose Atorvastatin Reduces Periodontal Activity in Proportion to Atherosclerotic Inflammation: a Potentially Novel Pleiotropic Effect of Statins. Tawakol T, Subramanian S, Emami H, Vucic E, Viiayakumar J, Fifer KM, Rudd JHF, Fayad ZA, Van Dyke TE. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013 Dec 24; 62(25):2382-91.
- Arterial Inflammation in Bronchial Asthma. Viiayakumar J. Subramanian S, Singh S, Corsini E, Fontanez, S, Lawler, M, Kaplan, R, Brady, TJ, Hoffmann, U, Tawakol, A. J Nucl Cardiol. 2013 Jun; 20(3):385-95.
- Pharmacological treatment of Pediatric Headaches: A Meta-Analysis. El-Chammas K, Keyes J, Thompson N, Viiayakumar J, Becher D, Jackson JL. JAMA Pediatrics. 2013 Jan 28:1-11.
- Arterial Inflammation in HIV-Infected Patients. Subramanian S, Tawakol A, Burdo T, Abbara S, Wei J, Viiayakumar J, Corsini E, Abdelbaky A, Zanni M, Hoffmann U, Williams K, Lo J, Grinspoon S. JAMA. 2012 Jul 25; 308(4):379-86.
- Molecular Imaging of the Aortic Valve using 18F-Fluorodeoxyg1ucose Positron Emission Tomography: Increased Commissural Metabolic Activity in Aortic Stenosis. Marincheva- Savcheva G, Subramanian S, Qadir S, Truong Q, Viiayakumar J. Hoffmann U, Brady T, Tawakol A. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2011 June 21; 57(25) :2507-15.
- PET Measurement of Periodontal FDG Uptake is Associated with Histologically Determined Carotid Plaque Inflammation. Fifer K, Qadir S, Subramanian S, Viiayakumar J, Figueroa A, Brady T, Tawakol A. Journal of American College of Cardiology Volume 57, Issue 8, 22 February 2011, Pages 971-976.
- Metformin use and prognosis in melanoma. Viiayakumar J, Tan W, Khushalani, NI. Poster presentation at Society of Melanoma Research Annual Congress, November 2014.
- Metformin use and prognosis in melanoma. Viiayakumar J, Tan W, Khushalani, NI. Oral presentation at Midwest Melanoma Partnership Group Meeting, October 2014.
- Prognostic factors in Hemangioendotheliomas: Analysis based on the Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) program. Muppidi MR, Viiayakumar J, Groman A, Salerno K, Francescutti V, Kane J, Khushalani N. Poster presentation at American Society of Clinical Oncology, Annual Meeting, May 2014.
- Arterial Inflammation in Rheumatoid Arthritis Correlates with Joint Inflammation. Emami H, Viiayakumar J, Vucic E, Subramanian S, Singh P, Solomon DH, Tawakol A. Poster presentation at American Heart Association Annual Scientific Meeting, November 2013.
- High Dose Atorvastatin Reduces Periodontal Activity in Proportion to Atherosclerotic Inflammation: a Potentially Novel Pleiotropic Effect of Statins. Emami H, Subramanian S, Vucic E, Viiayakumar J, Fifer K, Brady TJ, Rudd JHF, Fayad ZA, Van Dyke TE, Tawakol A. Poster presentation at American College of Cardiology Meeting, March 2013.
- High Dose Statin Reduces Periodontal Inflammation: Multi-Center Trial. Subramanian S, Viiayakumar J, Abdelbaky A, Fayad ZA, Rudd JH, Fifer KM, Brady TJ, Van Dyke T, Tawakol A. Oral presentation at International Association for Dental Research, June 2012.
- Inflammation is Increased in Non-Calcified / Mixed Left Main Coronary Plaques and is Modifiable by Statins: A Multi-Center PET-CT Study. Subramanian S, Marincheva Savcheva G, Medina H, Maurovich-Horvat P, Abdelbaky A, Viiayakumar J, Mogg R, Shankar S, Rudd J, Fayad Z, Brady T, Hoffmann U, Tawakol A. Poster presentation at American College of Cardiology Meeting, March 2012.
- Measurement of Atherosclerotic Inflammation with FDG-PET Imaging Improves Cardiovascular Risk Stratification. Figueroa A, Abdelbaky A, Corsini E, Lawler M, Gunn G, Uthamalingam S, Subramanian S, Viiayakumar J, Brady T, Hoffmann U Tawakol A. Oral presentation at American Heart Association Annual Scientific Meeting, November 2011.
- Asthma is Associated with Increased Atherosclerotic Inflammation, measured by FDG-PET. Viiayakumar J, Subramanian S, Lawler M, Fontanez S, Brady T, Tawakol A. Poster presentation at American Society of Nuclear Cardiology Scientific Meeting, September 2011.
- PET and MR Imaging for Localization of Inflamed and Lipid-Rich Aortic Plaques. Subramanian S, Lawler M, Viiayakumar J, Abdelbaky A, Brady T, Fayad Z, Chen J, Tawakol A. Poster presentation at American College of Cardiology Scientific Meeting, April 2011.
- Measurement of Asymmetric Aortic Wall Activity with FDG-PET: A Novel Tool to Predict Dilation of Aortic Aneurysms. Subramanian S, Qadir S, Viiayakumar J, Fontanez S, Fifer, K, Figueroa A, Hoffmann U, Brady T, Abbara S, Tawakol A. Poster presentation at Annual MGH SAC poster session, April 2011.
- Coronary Artery Plaques with High-risk Morphological Features Display an Increased Inflammatory Activity as Demonstrated by PET-CT Imaging. Marincheva-Savcheva G, Maurovich-Horvat P, Subramanian S, Viiayakumar J, Medina H, Brady T, Hoffmann U, Tawakol A. Oral presentation at American Heart Association Annual Scientific Meeting, November 2010.
- 18F-FDG Uptake is Increased in Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms: Localization of Metabolic Activity within Aneurysmal Transition Zones. Subramanian S, Qadir S, Fifer K, Viiayakumar J, Fontanez S, Sarfi -az N, Figueroa A, Abbara S, Brady T, Tawakol A. Oral presentation at American Heart Association Annual Scientific Meeting, November 2010.
Master of Science in Clinical and Translational Science, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
Medical Degree (M.B.B.S.), Coimbatore Medical College, Coimbatore, Chennai, India
Internal Medicine, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
Hematology and Oncology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Board Certified in Medical Oncology
- Board Certified in Hematology
- American Society of Hematology Member
- American Society of Clinical Oncology Member
- Alzheimer's and Related Disorders Society of India Member