Comprehensive Breast Care
Patients with complex breast issues require advanced expertise utilizing evidence-based guidelines for evaluation, workup, consultation, assessment, and ongoing surveillance.
In addition to providing on-going care to high-risk patients, the High-Risk Breast Clinic works closely with our breast team to provide comprehensive care for all breast-related issues including:
- Benign breast disease
- Dense breast tissue demonstrated
- Palpable lump with negative imaging
- Nipple discharge
- Inflammatory lesions
High-Risk Breast Clinic
Our physicians are leaders in the treatment of breast cancer throughout the Twin Cities area. Our multidisciplinary team provides compassionate, personalized cancer care tailored to the needs of each patient. Now, our practice is proud to expand its services to include assessment and ongoing surveillance of patients with complex breast issues, benign breast disease, and high-risk profiles at our High-Risk Breast Clinic.
The High-Risk Breast Clinic works with patients and their families, dedicated to educating them about their risk of developing breast cancer and creating a strategy to reduce risk and increase the chances of early detection.
Genetic Risk Evaluation and Testing (GREAT) Program
Our groundbreaking Genetic Risk Evaluation and Testing (GREAT) program is a leader in personalized cancer-risk reduction. Our goal is to guide patients through the process of deciding if genetic testing isappropriate and help determine if there is a genetic variation that puts the patient at risk for cancer.
Importance of Hereditary Risk Assessment and Genetic Testing
By determining whether an individual is at an elevated risk for cancer based on a gene variation or strong
family history, we can offer special options for medical and surgical management, lifestyle choices, and family planning.
- Screening for cancers (at a younger age, more frequent intervals and/or using different technology)
- Prevention or risk reduction of cancers (through surgery or medications)
- Potential specialized cancer treatment
- Potential modification of cancer risk through lifestyle changes
- Information regarding risks to children and other family members
Who Should Enroll in Risk Management?
Although it’s important that all patients keep up with their regular cancer screenings, those at high-risk are especially vulnerable.
Patients who would benefit from risk management for breast cancer include:
- Patients with a family history of breast cancer
- Patients with a relative with pre-menopausal breast cancer
- Patients with a family history of any ovarian cancer or male breast cancer
- Patients with histories of breast biopsies with atypia
- Patients with dense breasts on mammography
- Patients with known genetic mutations predisposing them to breast cancer
Prevention, Early Detection, and Surveillance
Our commitment to treating breast cancer begins with prevention and early detection, empowering patients through increased awareness and surveillance.
Patients benefit from the clinic’s evaluation and ongoing follow-up with an experienced certified breast cancer family nurse practitioner. Working closely with our genetic counselors, breast surgeons and medical and gynecologic oncologists, the High-Risk Breast Clinic will assist in developing an effective plan for prevention and early detection.
Early detection of breast cancer provides the best chance of effective treatment. When found early, breast cancer has more available treatment options and is associated with better outcomes and improved quality of life.
For those at high-risk for breast cancer, surveillance could include:
- Monthly self breast exam
- Annual mammograms, 3D preferred
- Annual MRI 6 months after mammogram
- Clinical breast exam twice a year
Please note: Risk-reducing surgeries are reserved for those with strong genetic risk.